Culture Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

About Martisor- serious information !

2 posters

Go down

About Martisor- serious information ! Empty didn't manage to send

Post  daniel 5/3/2008, 23:31

Dear Mert,

I tried to post some pictures. It didn't work...I must probably get some help from an adult Sad

Daniel

daniel

Back to top Go down

About Martisor- serious information ! Empty I am here to Help

Post  mert 3/3/2008, 20:48

My friend Daniel,
The story is so interesting. My mother did not tell it to me Sad
tonight I will ask her and want her to tell me what she knows and If she knows how to make a martisor. Shocked What a Face
Now, help time:
Look at the colomn under the subject box. Do you see it? now you will se a botton on which there is a disket.
Is it okay? confused confused the 15 th botton from the left. Okay, now click on it and find the pictures way from your computer. Add it to the page.
I and others in the school are very anixious to see your pictures.
Good luck! cheers cheers cheers Wink

mert

Back to top Go down

About Martisor- serious information ! Empty About Martisor- serious information !

Post  daniel 3/3/2008, 20:35

About Martisor

This triumph of rebirth and regeneration could not be better embodied but in the Martisor ( a trinket, March amulet) offered to loved ones in early spring.
The white and red thread of this amulet (a coin, money cowrie) which parents customarily tied around their children's wrist, young men offered to young women, and young women used to exchange among themselves was believed to bring good luck, good health, "like pure silver, like the river stone, like the seashell".

The Martisor is offered early morning on the first day of March; it used to be worn for 9-12 days, sometimes until the first tree would bloom when it was hung on a flowering branch to bring good luck to its bearer.

The Martisor was a present that Romanians sent to each other on the first day of March, traditionally a gold coin suspended on a white-and-red braided thread with a silk tassel. The recipient used to wear it around his neck until he would see a blooming rose and the present was then placed on its branch; in this way Spring was poetically welcomed. The coin symbolized prosperity, the white-and-red thread, a metaphor of a person's face white as a lily and rosy as a rose.

In the villages of Transilvania, the red-and-white wool yarn Martisor was pinned on gates, windows, sheepfolds, tied around the horns of cattle, around the handle of buckets to protect from the evil eye and malefic spirits; it was believed that the red "color of life" could be an inducer of vitality and regeneration.

In the folk tradition of the Carpathian mountain villages the Martisor was known as Drogobete, that time of the year when young women used to wash their face in "snow water" for getting "clean, pretty and white as the snow".

In Bihor folk people believed that the rain water collected on March 1, and during the nine days of the Babe would make one handsome and healthy, while in Banat it was customary for young women to gather snow or water from wild berry leaves and wash their face with it spelling the magic words of the Drogobete for love:

"Wild berry flower of March/ make me dear to everyone/ send away from me any harm".

PS I don't know how to send pictures! Help!!!

Sad

daniel

Back to top Go down

About Martisor- serious information ! Empty Re: About Martisor- serious information !

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum